Australia and New Zealand Summer Internship
The Australia and New Zealand internship is an unpaid 8-week 40 hour per week position that will give you
- Hands-on experience in a workplace environment relevant to your future career interest and current course of academic studies.
- An international experience that is very valuable for building your professional development and resume
The AIIA places students in organizations, companies, government agencies, non-profits, and other workplaces that provide a firsthand look at what a career in a particular area might be like and how the chosen industry works. These internships are based in Sydney, Australia. The AIIA’s extensive network of partner organizations that accept unpaid interns includes some of the most prestigious multinational corporations and influential government and non-government organizations, providing students with some of the best opportunities for workplace experience, networking, and resume building.
- Auburn University students with at least junior standing.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.25 (this is an Auburn Abroad requirement – Suggested minimum for this program is 2.75)
- Successful candidates will demonstrate academic success, maturity and a desire to experience another culture.
- Deposit: $1,000 must be paid prior to placement interview
- Placement Interviews: Via Skype upon payment of deposit
- Remaining balance of $9,000 will be billed as follows:
- $3,000 billed by January 14, 2016 due February 5, 2016
- $3,000 billed February 11, 2016 due March 4, 2016
- $3,000 billed March 10, 2016 due April 1, 2016
- 1 June 2016: Departure from US
- 3 June 2016: Arrival in Auckland, New Zealand
- June 4 and 5, 2016: Waiheke Island and Hobbiton day trips
- June 6 and 7, 2016: Class days
- June 8 and 9, 2016: Overnight trip to Bay of Islands
- June 10 and 11, 2016: Class days
- June 12, 2016: Departure for Sydney, Australia
- June 13, 2016: Class day and orientation session
- 14 June 2016 – 4 August 2016: Internship Period
- June 18, 2016: Day trip to Blue Mountains (outside Sydney)
- August 5, 2016: Packing day
- August 6, 2016: Departure from Australia
Boot Camp (4 days in Auckland and 1 day in Sydney): Multinational Financial Management (FINC 5510) - There will be some pre-departure material that you will be responsible before the first class day. Some of that you may be able to complete on the flight over. The last exam will be a take-home exam to be returned on Saturday, June 18, 2016.
Internship Credit dependent on departmental approval (up to 3 hours in major field of study)
Program fee is estimated at $10,000: Includes job placement by AIIA, Housing for 9 nights in Auckland and 55 nights in Sydney for a total of just over 9 weeks (from arrival on June 3 to departure on August 6), Program fee includes AU credit for up to 6 hours (see courses described above). Faculty will accompany students to New Zealand through the first week of the internship. AIIA staff are available 24/7 to assist students while on the program.
Does not include: Airfare, Auburn Study Abroad Fee (currently at $604), Meals, Public transportation (first week in Sydney is included), Optional Excursions, Visa costs, and COB professional fee for summer term. These costs are estimated to run around $6,500.
The housing is very centrally located and has been recently refurbished. Housing is in 2 bedroom apartments with twin beds in each bedroom, 2 bathrooms, a fully stocked kitchen, a lounge and a laundry room in each apartment.
Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales and the most populous city in Australia. It is on Australia's south-east coast, on the Tasman Sea. The metropolitan area is surrounded by national parks, and the coastal regions feature many bays, rivers, inlets and beaches, including the famous Bondi and Manly beaches. As the financial and economic hub of Australia, Sydney has grown to become a wealthy and prosperous city and its residents enjoy the world’s second highest earnings when measured using domestic purchasing power, among world cities. The largest economic sectors in Sydney, as measured by the number of people employed, include property and business services, retail, manufacturing, and health and community services.
First week activities include 5 days of tours in New Zealand and the second week includes a full day trip to the Blue Mountains. Independent excursions are available at your own cost – there is an optional excursion at the end of the program to the Great Barrier Reef and Cairns.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on Program Search and Enter AU Business – Business Internships in Australia as Program Name.
There is no obligation to start an application. After your application is reviewed you will be notified if you are “Accepted” into the program. Upon acceptance you then have the option to Confirm or Withdraw your application. Confirming will generate the beginning of the billing process.
PASSPORT AND VISA REQUIREMENTS
Visa requirements vary depending on your citizenship. For U.S. citizens a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) is required in order to do their internship. Application can be completed online.
If you do not have a PASSPORT: Please check http://travel.state.gov for the nearest local passport office and forms. Auburn Abroad recommends that you apply for a passport as soon as possible. If you already have a passport: Please check the expiration date. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months following your scheduled time abroad.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Contact the Dr. Beverly Marshall, Professor of Finance, at email@example.com