After finishing their undergraduate degrees in business and working a number of years,
many non-accounting business professionals desire to change career paths into accounting.
Now they can without relocating the family or giving up their full-time jobs. As
part of Auburn's strategic plan, "Auburn will make available fully online new undergraduate
and graduate programs for degree completers and working professionals." The online
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in Accountancy program is the
first online undergraduate degree offered at Auburn University.
Online Accounting Program
Auburn's on-campus accounting classes are recorded and online students view their
lectures via streaming video either live or at a time convenient to their work schedules.
The distance learning students follow the same academic calendar and pacing as their on-campus peers and are receiving the same instruction and ultimately
the same AASCB accredited degree. The online option of the BSBA in Accountancy is
identical to the on-campus option regarding rigor, standards, and student accountability.
The only difference is that online students are not physically on-campus.
Requirements for Admission
Admission to the online Bachelor of Science in Accountancy program is limited to second degree seeking candidates only who meet the following criteria:
- Completed either an AACSB-accredited bachelor's degree in business or an AACSB-accredited MBA. Students with MBAs must have completed courses equivalent to the required business foundation prerequisites.
- Must have either a USA or APO address.
- Must meet the business foundation prerequisites outlined on the MAcc Program Prerequisite Checklist.
Admitted students will receive a waiver of the university and college core classes
because of their previous AACSB accredited business degree and are only required to
complete 30 semester hours in accounting.
Students who are working full-time may take six semester hours per semester and complete the program in five semesters. Students who are not working may complete the program more quickly.
The admissions process and advising is administered by Auburn Accounting Online in the School of Accountancy. Completed applications will be considered on a competitive basis by the Committee on Undergraduate Study in Accountancy. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
The accounting programs at Auburn University are accredited by The Association to
Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the “gold standard”
of business and accounting education.
Careers in Accounting
The online Bachelor of Science in Accounting through Auburn equips students with the technical knowledge needed for a successful career in accounting.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of accountants and auditors will grow by 13 percent from now and until the year 2022. The accounting profession is growing faster than other occupations and the future is bright for accounting students. Students who successfully pass the CPA Exam and hold a Master of Accountancy degree will have an increase in job prospects.
Possible career paths include:
- Internal Auditor
- Tax Accountant
- Managerial Accountant
- Financial Manager
- Government Accountant
Reasons to Choose Auburn Accounting Online
- The online Bachelor of Science in Accountancy is ranked No. 11 in the Best Accounting Degree Programs by Affordable College Online.
- The Master of Accountancy – Online program is ranked No. 5 by the Accounting Degree Review.
- The Auburn University Harbert College of Business is ranked No. 6 for graduate online programs in the U.S. according to U.S. News and World Report's 2015 Best Online Business Program rankings.
- The Auburn Accounting Online Masters in Accountancy ranked No. 4 by the Online
- Accounting Degrees Programs.
- The Master of Accountancy Class of 2014 averaged an 80 percent or better pass rate on all four sections of the CPA exam – far above the national average.
- Offered online since 2000, the Masters in Accounting online is accredited by The Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AASCB International)
- The Harbert College of Business has smart classrooms where on campus classes are recorded and streamed online to distance students for live viewing or to be viewed later – thus distance students get the same material as on-campus students, with online discussion boards supplementing in class discussion and facilitating interaction among peers and professors but with the flexibility needed for a working professional.