Finance Department Internship Process
You must be a declared FINC or IB major to participate in the Finance Department internship program
- Required GPA – A student must have a 2.5 GPA in order to be approved for an internship receiving FINC elective credit hours.
- Credit Hours Received – For approved internships, up to three FINC elective credit hours can be received.
- Number of Hours Required – Internships generally must be at least 8 weeks in length and 320 hours to receive a 3-hour FINC elective course credit. Shorter internships are allowed for either 1 or 2-hour course credit.
- Program Cost – The cost of the internship will be the normal Auburn tuition just as if you were taking a course on campus. Refer to the University for current tuition costs. Be advised that in order to receive course credit, you must be enrolled in FINC 4920 and pay tuition for the internship course.
- Approval Required – You must meet with Mandy Harrelson, Program Champion, for approval on an individual basis and this must be completed prior to the beginning of the internship semester. No credit can be awarded for an internship after the fact. The internship must relate directly to either finance, insurance, real estate, or international business.
- Confirmation by Employer – Your employer must submit an email to Mandy Harrelson (firstname.lastname@example.org) specifying the nature of the internship, the start/end date of the internship, and the approximate number of hours worked per week.
- Content of Academic Assignments – Weekly activity reports (in the form of an email) will be submitted each Friday. The weekly reports should briefly describe what you did that week and how it relates to your major. In addition, you will prepare a 6-7 page, double-spaced research paper (using proper bibliographic style, etc.) on the industry in which you interned that is due by the final day of your internship (as indicated by your employer). As a part of the paper, 2 pages should be devoted to describing the firm you interned with and a summary of the work you did for them during the internship. The weekly reports and research paper should be submitted to Mandy Harrelson at email@example.com.
- Employer Evaluation – At the end of the internship, your employer will need to send an email to Mandy Harrelson (firstname.lastname@example.org) providing an evaluation of your work experience.
- Grading – The internship is graded on a Satisfactory-Unsatisfactory basis. Failure to meet the requirements above will result in an unsatisfactory grade.