Budget & Management Analyst - Auburn, AL
This position is responsible for supporting the City's performance management/strategic goal alignment initiative and biennial budget process.
Supports City's performance management/strategic goal alignment program. (40%)
o Assists departments in data collection, refining performance measures and communicating results.
o Prepares communications, including memoranda, presentations, and talking points, to help senior management debate policy choices.
o Develops various reports (e.g. spreadsheets, databases, financial reports) and intranet-based tools to analyze and monitor various financial and fiscal performance indicators (e.g. historical performance data, forecasting, and performance analysis).
o Recommends solutions for linking strategic objectives to performance targets.
o Performs analytical and quantitative work as directed.
Participates in the development and monitoring of the City's biennial budget. (30%)
o Assists departments with identifying, analyzing, and prioritizing operational needs for evaluation during the budget cycle.
o Develops and coordinates various processes involved in collecting budget requests (e.g. new position requests, capital outlay requests, and funding requests).
o Provides detailed analysis of budget requests made during the development of budget, including the impact of budget requests on key operating indicators.
o Works with the Finance Department to develop and publish the documents necessary for the City Biennial Budget and Mid-Biennium Budget Review.
o Coordinates activities associated with the various budget meetings (e.g. public hearings, work sessions, and training sessions).
o Prepares materials submitted for public view and City Council consideration in compliance with City objectives and applicable legal considerations.
Collaborates with City departments to design and optimize business processes. (15%)
o Assists departments with reviewing budgets and long range financial and strategic plans including expense projections.
o Assists departments with identifying opportunities for process improvement in coordination with the IT Department.
o Assist departments with identifying opportunities for cost savings/cost avoidance.
Performs related duties. (15%)
o Demonstrates punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
o Attends meetings, workshops, and training sessions.
o Provides innovative solutions to enhance current processes and procedures and/or resolve workplace issues.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Knowledge of public administration, performance management, strategic planning, and local government financial and management concepts.
Knowledge of project management and research principles and resources.
· Knowledge of financial, analytical and statistical concepts and tools (e.g. Microsoft excel).
· Knowledge of City and departmental rules and regulations.
· Knowledge of state and local regulations related to municipal budgets and processes.
· Skill in applying analytical methods and in organizing significant quantities of financial and finance-related information.
· Skill in the use of computers and job-related software (e.g. financial management software, budgeting software, and project management software).
· Skill in research and analysis.
· Skill in the preparation and presentation of accurate and reliable reports.
· Skill in oral and written communication.
· Ability to work cooperatively with others.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.auburnalabama.org
Position #00169 BUDGET AND MANAGEMENT ANALYST