Accounting & Finance Development Program
Apps Due 10/30!!!
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
This position has been developed for the Accounting and Finance Development Program.
The objective of the program is to develop the Associate’s financial and business
acumen and leadership skills to prepare them for future leadership opportunities within
Finance and across the company.
The program consists of 3-4 cross functional job rotations within the Finance organization, and occasionally in other business units, over the course of 4-6 years. Job rotation assignments may vary from 12-24 months depending on the role, complexity and business needs. Finance rotations may include, but not limited to, Accounting, Financial & Regulatory Reporting, Planning, Risk, Tax, Internal Audit and Corporate Finance. Rotation opportunities within will be based on business needs. It is expected that each Associate will complete 3 of the 4, if not all, of their rotations within the Finance organization.
In addition, this program includes a programmatic training and development component that will include a variety of training venues including classroom, self-study, and project-based work which will occur throughout the duration of the program. Participants will each be assigned a leadership level mentor for the duration of the program to support them in their individualized professional growth and development plans. As an integral aspect of this Program, Associates will be expected early on in each rotation to assume an active role in managing some important aspect of the business related to their assignment. Participants will also provide feedback, suggestions and recommendations regarding process improvements, policies and procedures to the business areas as they proceed through the program.
Participants will be rigorously assessed after each cross functional rotation and re-qualified before moving onto the next phase of the program.
- Successfully complete 3-4 rotations as in various parts of the Finance organization and broader business units; outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines. Work locations may include Chattanooga TN or Portland ME.. It’s strongly encouraged that Associate’s first rotation is in the Chattanooga, TN office.
- Demonstrate commitment to career development and growing financial acumen by pursuing and achieving a relevant Finance credential (CPA).
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Prepare meaningful financial reports for designated area and develop quality analysis that informs decision making.
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge, anticipating issues, and demonstrating ownership of assigned tasks or processes. Leverage the analysis to make business recommendations.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contributes to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Maintain a specialized working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unum’s products, services and business processes including, his/her specific business area, the issues and technical skills required to support the area.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management.
- Work on and/or lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues
- Bachelor’s degree with overall 3.3 GPA or higher
- Intent to pursue and achieve relevant Finance credential (CPA)
- Strong internship or equivalent work experience for graduating college seniors
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Ability to respond quickly and positively to change; acts as a change agent
- Ability to link understanding of business processes, business drivers, and changes to other areas and financial results and trends
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills; adept at handling group dynamics
- Highly motivated individual able to take direction from managers
- Ability to prioritize work while working on multiple projects keeping track of and meeting due dates
- Basic to intermediate EXCEL Skills.
- Proficient in Word and PowerPoint
- General ledger systems and reporting tools experience preferred
- Meet the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework