The Water Works & Sanitary Sewer Board of the City of Montgomery, Alabama is seeking to hire a full-time accountant in their Montgomery office. Applicants are required to have a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration in Accounting. Students with upcoming May graduation dates are encouraged to apply as this would be a perfect fit for a new accounting major with little to no experience.The deadline to apply is March 31, 2020.
More from the firm:
Nature of Work
This is complex technical accounting work in support of the Finance and Accounting Department. The employee in this class administers the accounts payable system and performs a number of other diverse accounting projects. This employee works with considerable freedom of action with regard to the technical aspects of accounts payable but coordinates with superiors on matters of policy and deviations from established procedures. The employee maintains complete and accurate financial accounts and records in conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Employee provides accounting support in a variety of complex accounting procedures that require knowledge of the rules and regulations of the utility.
Hourly Rate $30.36
Hourly/Full Time/Biweekly Nonexempt
Requirements of Work
- Knowledge of computer systems software for a utility company.
- Knowledge of general ledger account structures.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of accounting with emphasis in governmental and utility accounting.
- Skill in using all office business machines and software to perform routine accounting functions.
- Ability to analyze and interpret fiscal and related accounting records to be able to prepare reports and schedules for audit.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and supervisors.
- Ability to reconcile assigned general ledger accounts.
- Ability to use complex accounting software for all routine accounting functions.
Required Training and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration with a major in accounting.
Desired Training and Experience
- Three years of progressive accounting or related experience.
- Professional certification in related accounting field, i.e. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM).
- Master's Degree in accounting, finance, management or other business-related field.
- Ability to see, hear and speak clearly within normal ranges and tones.
- Ability to do sedentary work, view a computer screen monitor, type, and enter data into a personal computer or laptop and monitor telephones for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds for up to 50 feet.
- Work will be performed in a professional office environment.