Goodwill is seeking volunteers to support our free tax preparation service. All volunteers will be trained with IRS-certified curriculum and will gain valuable work experience, becoming certified in tax law and helping taxpayers in the community. Although the flyer/website states that there is a 30-hour minimum time commitment, Goodwill is happy to accept any help offered (there is no minimum time commitment for students). Additionally, they are flexible with some of the on-site requirements if you need to participate virtually.
Volunteer opportunities include intake/greeter and tax preparers and there are in-person and virtual interactions available. Note that this volunteer opportunity is NOT the same as SaveFirst (promoted through our tax courses) and there will not be any class extra credit assigned for participation. However, it's a great way to build your resume and help others at the same time!
Individuals who are interested in becoming a volunteer income tax preparer or have further questions can email Goodwill at email@example.com or contact our Financial Services Department at 706-256-1837.
Volunteer Training Materials & Instructions
Goodwill’s VITA partnership is to help your community by preparing taxes free of charge with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. You will receive training to provide free tax help for low-to-moderate income families who need assistance preparing their tax returns while you are volunteering at the VITA site.
Training Materials Provided:
- Volunteer Training Materials & Instructions (3 pages)
- Pub 4012 – Volunteer Resource Guide
- Pub 6744 – Volunteer Assistor’s Test/Retest
What do I need?
- A desktop computer or laptop+
- Headphones or a quiet place to read and watch videos
- (optional) Notebook
- **A Google account/Gmail - (This is Google’s version of email and gives access to many free services.)
- To ask any and all questions for better understanding!
**The VITA virtual training is in Google Classroom. For this reason, volunteers must have a (FREE) Google account in order to access the materials. If you do not have a Google account, navigate to google.com and click “Create account.” You will be asked your name, to create a username, and make your own password. If you already have a Google account, then use that existing account.
What to Expect in Virtual Training:
The virtual training is organized into 4 major themes:
- VITA Program Overview and Welcome – What is VITA? Certification? Roles? Requirements? Scope?
- Soft Skills and Confidentiality – Customer Service, Conflict Resolution, Ethics, Conduct, Privacy
- Tax Concepts – Filing Status, Income, Deductions, Credits, Tax Benefits, Refund Amount
- Tax Software Training and Practice – What is TaxSlayer Pro®? How to prepare taxes?
As you can imagine, all 4 themes are vital to understand for you to successful answer questions from clients and prepare tax returns. These 4 themes are broken down into organized modules with titles for the basic concept it covers. Each module (or concept) has recommended and supplemental materials in addition to required assignments, so you should not need to search beyond the classroom to fully understand any concept. Everything you should need will be provided within the virtual classroom, all for your convenience!