USAA’s 10-week, summer internship program offers college students the chance to discover
what it’s like to work at a Fortune 100 company and leading financial services organization.
Our interns deliver innovative solutions to real business challenges, and build enduring
relationships with their manager and an assigned mentor. While gaining insight into
the service of the military community and USAA’s noble mission, interns are immediately
part of USAA’s collaborative culture. Spend your summer at USAA and gain a career
where you can make a difference!
Our 2020 summer internship program will start on May 18, 2020 and last through July 24, 2020. To be eligible, you must be a college student during the time of the internship program.
Provide decision support for business areas across the enterprise. Staff in this area will be responsible for applying mathematical and statistical techniques and/or innovative /quantitative analytical approaches to draw conclusions and make 'insight to action' recommendations to answer business objectives and drive change. The essence of work performed by the Decision Science Analyst involves gathering, manipulating and synthesizing data (e.g., attributes, transactions, behaviors, etc.), models and other relevant information to draw conclusions and make recommendations resulting in implementable strategies.
- Performs professional duties in support of operations for the functional area assigned
- Applies foundational functional knowledge to produce work deliverables in support of departmental initiatives
- Manages limited departmental projects and/or participates as a project resource on larger initiatives
- Identifies opportunities and facilitates basic improvements to processes and systems
- Performs routine tasks under direct supervision and within established procedures and guidelines
- May interact with clients for technical requests to understand requirements and limitations in different phases of project lifecycle to include research, testing and implementation
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree or higher in Data & Analytics, Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline at a 4-year accredited university
- Graduation date cannot be prior to the end of the internship
Minimum Work Experience:
- 0 to 2 years of related experience and accountability for simple to moderately complex tasks and/or projects required
- Foundational and conceptual knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills and abilities towards work products required
- Foundational level of business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends required
- Pursuing a Master's degree in Data & Analytics, Economics, Finance, Statistics, Mathematics, Actuarial Sciences or other quantitative discipline at an accredited university
Preferred Work Experience:
- Experience with one or more of the following: Python, SAS, SAS Enterprise Guide, SAS Enterprise Miner, R, Jupyter Notebook, Spark, Hadoop, HDP, Hive, Beeline, Pig, Command Line, Linux, Unix, Tableau, SPSS, SPSS Modeler, MATLAB
- Experience with Data Mining, Data Cleaning, Statistical Modeling, Sampling, Text Analysis, Machine Learning, Dashboards, Visualization