Due to the changes to the recruiting timeline, the Epsilon Omicron chapter of Beta Alpha Psi amended its bylaws to allow two pathways to candidacy, effective Fall 2019. Students can now join as early as when they are enrolled in Intermediate Accounting I.
WHAT IS THE FULL OVERVIEW OF THE CHANGE?
There are now two pathways to candidacy for Beta Alpha Psi (outlined below). Applications will be emailed in mid-July and are due on Friday, August 23rd at 8 am.
- Complete ACCT 2110 Principles of Financial Accounting at Auburn University with a “B” or better, as well as maintain a minimum 3.0 ungapped overall GPA,
- Complete upper-level accounting coursework (including ACCT 3110) with an ungapped overall, upper level, and accounting GPA greater than or equal to a 3.0.
WHY DID WE CHANGE?
- Elimination of dates in the Recruiting Honor Code merited the need for students to become involved in recruiting no later than first semester of junior year. ACCT 3110 is on the curriculum model during the fall semester of junior year.
- Peer institutions such as University of Alabama & University of Georgia allow students to become Beta Alpha Psi candidates during Intermediate I (and AU needs to remain competitive among other schools).
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- To be initiated as a member, students must successfully complete ACCT 3110 Intermediate Accounting I, and have at least a 3.0 UNGAPPED overall, major, and upper-level GPA. Thus, candidates are initiated at the beginning of the following semester since grades must be verified for membership (e.g., fall candidates are initiated in the spring).
- If a student withdraws from ACCT 3110 during their candidacy, they forfeit their candidacy and must re-apply in a future semester.
- Students are only eligible for one semester of candidacy - if grades render a candidate ineligible for initiation, they are "on hold" (and not considered active in the organization) until they meet the GPA for membership.
- Financial Leadership Society (FLS) remains the pre-cursor organization for Beta Alpha Psi, but is now solely focused on freshmen & sophomores who HAVE NOT COMPLETED ACCT 2110 Principles of Financial Accounting. FLS membership is on a semester basis and does not guarantee matriculation into BAP.