Spire is seeking an Accountant to work in the 6th Avenue North office in Birmingham. This position will be responsible for the preparation and completion of monthly journal entries, financial statements, quarterly reports, yearly reports, and special reports required by the Company and other outside governmental agencies. This position is also responsible for maintaining accurate financial records.
Spire believes that energy exists to help people. To enrich their lives, grow their businesses, advance their communities. It’s a simple idea, but one that’s at the heart of their business. Spire is dedicated to understanding their customers’ needs and goals to better serve them today and tomorrow. That’s why Spire is always looking for driven, collaborative people to join their team. Because Spire believes that offering our customers the best service means bringing together the best people.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly journal entries, project adjustments, reconciliations, financial statements, reports, etc.
- Analyze general ledger accounts
- Create capital projects and review those created by other departments
- Perform monthly closing responsibilities, including project & Fixed Asset processing of AFUDC and Depreciation, and all other Fixed Asset transactions
- Prepare various schedules and reports
- Create and maintain Excel spreadsheets
- Keep abreast of changes in accounting rules
- Collaborate with other members of the Financial Reporting team and other departments to meet deliverables and deadlines
- Work on projects, including preparing rate case work papers, annual budgets, ad hoc requests, etc.
- Copy and distribute various statements and reports
- All other duties as assigned
Essential Characteristics and Competencies
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to lead by example in support of the Company’s essential characteristics and values: strong ethics and integrity, dedication to a safe work environment, commitment to a diverse workforce that recognizes and respects every individual’s unique skills and perspectives
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt in a fast-moving and changing culture
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to build and establish rapport with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively to meet individual goals and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and display a positive attitude for this dynamic environment • Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Regular attendance is considered an essential job function
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or similar degree
Contact Ely Jones at email@example.com for more information.